
Well, the day started out pretty crappy b/c right before we walked out the door for the pc appt we got a call from our regular pc. . . the FISH test came back positive. I was not surprised and was pretty well prepared for that, since Brayden Boy doesn't seem to get many breaks these days. One more thing to worry about, I guess. We'll be making an appt with a geneticist (sp?) to find out what to do next -- probably some more torturous testing for the poor little guy. For those of you who don't know what the FISH test is, go ahead and search for DiGeorge Syndrome or 22q11 deletion. . . I've got lots more research to do myself.
Now, on to the pc appt. We had a good and lengthy talk with the dr. We all agree that Brayden is doing amazingly well. At first, he said that we would need to wait until after the TB treatment was over -- obviously if he had active TB we wouldn't want to put him on by-pass and have the infection spread throughout his body. But once I explained that Brayden had a clear chest x-ray and that he had the BCG at 3-months, we came up with a new game plan. He was shocked to hear that Brayden had the BCG (guess it didn't sink in at the beginning when I told him that Brayden was born in Guatemala), and he said "that changes everything." So, we are going to an Infectious Disease specialist to make *double* sure that the TB is inactive. If the ID guy clears him, we are moving forward with surgery right away. At Brayden's age and size, there is no benefit to waiting. . . the mortality rate is the same for a 1 year old as it is for a 2 year old. He even said that some surgeons think it is higher for the 2 year old, since the heart is having to work harder to compensate for the ToF right now. FINALLY -- a dr backs-up my gut feeling about all of this. Also, on a good note, the dr said that Brayden's PAs are well developed and that he was confident that any surgeon could do this repair -- then he said, "I could even do it . . . maybe". I told him that we weren't going to accept any maybes, and that we would go where ever we needed to. He gave us the name of 3 surgeons that he advised we get consultations from -- one at UK, one at Cincinnati, and one at Columbus. My gut says we're not going to UK, but I'll talk to the guy anyway. Everyone tells me that we will know the right surgeon when we talk to them, so hopefully this will be an easy decision.
So now, we've got to get cleared by the ID guy, get consultations from a few surgeons, pick one, and schedule this surgery -- oh, yeah, the pediatrician recommends that we avoid RSV season if at all possible since Brayden is at high-risk. That means, we need to get the surgery in before November. . . I guess we will see. . .

13 comments:
Wow, that's a lot of information for you to process for one day. Sounds like you met with the right dr today ... good that you trusted your instincts and got that other opinion.
I'll be praying that things go smoothly for Brayden (and you guys as well) and that you'll quickly get the answers to any other issues you may have to face.
I also had to add that I love all the pictures you add to your posts. Every time I look at your little Brayden my heart just melts because he just so darn cute!!
Well it is a good thing that you finally got some answers. I could not imagine what you all are going through. It is like a roller coaster that never gets to the top of the hill. We will definitely be praying for you guys.
Tim, Kelli, & Kaleb
We'll keep praying!
You've got some answers - now you can get a plan and put it into action. Good luck with everything, Krystal. We pray for your little guy every day!
November, huh? You do have lots of research to do. As always, you're in my thoughts and prayers. Thank G-d Brayden joined your family so you can advocate for his needs like this - you're a lucky family!
You have lots to process for sure. You are a great advocate for Brayden.
As you surely know, Sophia is 22q11 deletion. You will want to make sure Brayden sees an endochrinologist and an immunologist. These were important areas of Sophia's Digeorge which were kind of overlooked. We will be thinking of you and hoping you find a great surgeon.
Hi Krystal- I just happened upon your blog linked to another guat adoption blog and wanted to introduce myself because my daughter (adopted, birthparents from Mexico)who is now 13, was born with Tetralogy of Fallot - BT Shunt at 4months and corrected at 26 months. I'd be happy to correspond with you if you'd like. Brayden is beautiful!!!! Judy jacnjec@cox.net
Sounds like you already feel more confident in your new pc, this will make a world of difference for you as parents! I will be praying for you guys and the decisions that will need to be made. I see that Louisville wasn't mentioned but I highly recommend talking to Dr. Austin at Kosair Childrens Hospital
It's a miracle that this precious child ended up with such a wonderful family who has the means and drive to meet all of his needs. Trust those gut instincts cuz Mommy instincts are hard to beat!
Before November? Whew, that's pretty quick with all those people you have to talk to first! I'll add my thoughts and prayers to the pot that you can get all the info you need and get Brayden exactly what he needs, and at the perfect time!
Hello..
I found your blog thru the Suggs...
My son Matthew was born 2 months premature w/ Pulmonary Atresia w/ MAPCAS, TOF & VSD... he's had two open heart surgeries and doing great!! He is now 16 months old, just started crawling a month ago... he did the whole "sit and spin" for a couple months...funny!
Brayden is a cutie pie!!
Terri ~ Las Vegas
www.whomagoo.blogspot.com
(Matthew's site)
Would you like some help sorting thru the myriad reams of info on DiGeorge Syndrome? I happen to be a scientist in the field of genetics......wjarman@lexgen.com Please let me know if I can help in any way.
Krystal,
I'll be praying for you - I am glad you have some answers from the doctor, finally. And doing your own research will make you the best advocate you can be. I'll keep watching your blog as Brayden's story continues. Our Edi is finally coming home next week. You'll remember (from the yahoo group) that he was born the day after Brayden, so they are the same age.
Lori Beneyton
Post a Comment