Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Parker Passed & Brayden Took a Nose Dive!

I don't think I mentioned it before, but Parker did not pass her hearing screen at the hospital. They did it on 2 different days, and she did not pass on the right side both days. I wasn't there for the first test, but I went with her on the 2nd day. The test is set up so that each ear has to get a score of 160 within 15 minutes. She passed on the left pretty quickly, but the right side never got out of the 60s - that was a long 15 minutes of me saying, "come on, come on, come on" in my head. They told us that Cesarean babies can have more fluid in their ears (I guess it gets squeezed out if they go through the birth canal??), so it was probably nothing to worry about and that they would re-test her in a couple of weeks. At first, I did not stress about it . . . but as time went by, the worry started to creep in (doesn't it always?). Around the middle of last week, I was pretty much convinced that she was deaf and that we needed to get to work on our sign language skills immediately!

So yesterday we went back to the hospital for the re-test. The lady explained the test to us again, showed us the monitor and said that each ear needed to get to 160 within 15 minutes. It took baby girl 1 minute and 38 seconds to pass both ears -- Whoo-hoo! Good girl, Parker :) Momma really needed that!

Best seat in the house -- Parker loves to relax in her car seat. I'm thinking about just setting it in her crib at night so that we can get some rest!!!
On to Brayden's nose dive -- I have seen many cute pics of your kiddos playing on playgrounds, and I have been tempted many times to let Brayden try out the play area at the mall. Yesterday, Mom and I took a short trip to the mall to look for some shoes for Bray. He's a big ol' size 4 now, so I thought we would have more options (I was wrong, we found nothing!). There weren't many kids playing and he had been so good -- so, I asked him if he wanted to get out of the stroller and play. He signed play, so I took him out and happily planted him down in the middle of the play area. Little did I know that I was feeding my sweet, innocent boy to the wolves!!! Brayden walked around a little . . . he didn't venture far, and he was really more interested in looking at us than any of the brats, I mean, kids that were playing. After a few minutes, he walked back over to me, and I was asking him if he was ready to go. About that time, a little girl came running by and ran right between us. Then a little boy came chasing her. As he ran between us, he stuck out his arm and clotheslined my sweet Bray-My. The clothesline was pretty rough, so the boy then fell on top of Brayden. Poor Brayden Boy!!! He went face first into the carpet, and it scared him quite a bit. I scooped him up, wiped the dirt and tears from his face, and went into ultra-baby mode. I felt like such an idiot for leaving my poor baby boy out in the open with maniacs, I mean, kids running around! He has carpet-burn on his little nose :( I put some Aquaphor on it last night to soothe it, and it looks better today. . . no more playgrounds for us!!!

On a side note -- yes, I realize that that my son is destined to be a sissy-boy, because I leave him no choice!!! Also, the little boy really didn't mean to hurt Brayden, he was just chasing his sister and got out of control. His grandmother did make him come over and apologize to Brayden, too, so that was nice.

Oh, my nose!!! Can you see the carpet burn??? How about the HUGE molar in his mouth? This boy has the biggest teeth ever!

10 comments:

Corey said...

It took us 6xs to the playground before Luke would leave my side... Sissy no way!!!
Just because Luke can only play non contact sports sucha s golf, tennis, and swimming does not make him a sissY!

Go Parker!!!

Kim said...

I'm so glad Parker's hearing test turned out ok!! Now I feel bad - I think I'm just the opposite of you. I actually don't mind if Alex gets a little scraped up! Maybe I'm a mean mom!! :)

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear Parker's hearing is ok. And poor little Brayden :(! Don't worry about over-protecting him ... he is your special Brayden Boy, after all ... you have every right to be as protective as you want to be!

Andrea said...

Yea Parker! You know I am an audiologist, so I know exactly what you were talking about. And yes, c-section babies tend to not pass the hearing screenings the first few times :)

Poor Brayden! He's still gorgeous even with a little rug burned nose. He's a tough little one, he'll be ready to rumble again soon!

Ginger--Maya's mommy said...

Glad to hear that he hearing test was okay. Poor Brayden.

Anonymous said...

The worry always does seem to creep in a mommy's mind - doesn't it? I guess it comes with the territory. Glad Parker passed and that wasn't my mom and Evan at the playground was it??? he he he. He is one rough and tough boy.

Crystal said...

Poor little Brayden!!!!!! He is such a cutie --it just looks like a little sun burn but it is still so hard to watch your child "wipe out!!"

Krystal I am so so glad Parker passed-- I can only imagine how hard those few days were!!! You poor thing!!! I hope you are getting enough rest!!! Are you feeling okay?!!! You are superwoman--you do know that right?!!! I know it is hard at first with newborns sleep schedules--I wish I could come over and you could go take a nap!!! I am thinking and praying for you!!!! hugs

Suzanne said...

Glad P passed that test - yea!

You know, Gage slept in his carseat when we first came home. He wanted to sleep on his stomach, but I was scared to death of SIDS and wouldn't let him. The only other way he'd sleep was in the carseat. So at first, I put in on the floor next to our bed, then later I put it right in the crib! We did this until the doc gave the ok to let him sleep on his belly.

Suzanne

Unknown said...

I have done that before - put the baby in the car seat for bed time, they sleep better for some reason and you can rock them so easily.

Can't belive that snow!

Becky

Tabitha said...

I love reading the thoughts of another protective momma! I know people think Seth and I are crazy because we're already so cautious with Adelyn, but I can't help it. It is just my nature. I know Bray will heal up fast, and I'm so glad about Parker. They are both precious. I love the newest pics too - Brayden's sad little face and Parker's sweet little shirt.